Saturday, December 1, 2012

'tis the season


Well, today is December 1st and I already find myself with the burning desire to start writing again.  It's not unheard of that I would want to do this after a marathon of forcing myself to sit and pound a blog out (last night, blech,) but it is rare.  I think when I force myself to blog my natural instinct is to get up and walk around and then look at websites before I flip through magazines.  Like the child who is told he must finish his homework before he can play, the last thing I want to do is work.

Childhood never ends, people.  I've made it official!

Today I went with my parents to get our Christmas tree, the 15th year in a row that we've cut it down ourselves.  There is something fulfilling about that... I'm not sure why.  It's always a quick trip; leave the house by 9 and return before noon with less than 30 minutes being spent at the tree farm.  And though the last few years have been bare of snow (more on that later) during tree-choppin' day, I can't really complain too much.  The best part about not having the snow, aside from the obvious chill factor, is that it is usually moist air and it looks really atmospheric and cool at Harmony Hill Evergreens.

When we got home and successfully stood the tree up on the first try (why did the dreaded-ex and I always do it wrong, causing the tree to inevitably topple when we weren't home?  Must have been an omen) I marched upstairs to get to work on a list of chores I had created.  I don't know if it is a sign of me getting older and not being able to remember everything I need to do or if it is just because I have waaaaay too much commotion in my mind right now to handle the medial tasks of buying Christmas presents, organizing my desk, paying bills, etc.  I'd like to believe it is the latter but of course I could be wrong.

Having Novemeber wrap itself up is such a blessing for many reasons, chief among them that December is my absolute favorite month of the year.  This year makes it a little more special because it means I am just 31 days away from completing my list of 26 Golden Things and the resulting video.  Speaking of that video, I worked on that as well today.  Right now it clocks in at 55 minutes (yeesh,) but I still get excited everytime I watch it so I suppose that's a good sign.  I started putting the bits filmed today into sequence, and once I added music to it I got surprisingly emotional.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to any of you by now that I am a huge crybaby, mostly over things that are sentimental but also with animated movies, romantic movies, dramatic movies, superhero movies, tv shows, some commercials, sad letters... I can go on.  But today, with the music joining the December cue card and the small note "at last" scrawled across the bottom of it (see picture above) there was an odd sense of finality to it all.  Not only that I will achieve what I set out to do 334 days ago, but that it is culminating in a series of events I don't think I believed would ever arrive.

Anyway.

Now I'm searching for a venue to host the premier and I have a couple great options for that.  The goal being that for all of you that will come, you'll have a place to sit and eat/drink rather than stand and watch.  I know I personally wouldn't want to stand around for an hour watching someone else's life no matter how much I had been filmed in it.

To touch back on that snow thing... I really hope we get dumped on in the next couple weeks.  Last year we didn't have snow until January and I would just love to wrap up this most perfect of years with the most perfect of holiday nods.  A little white powder could do that, and not the cocaine kind!

Okay, back to work.  I just wanted to say hello and I love you (c:

No comments:

Post a Comment