Monday, February 13, 2012

my valentine

Firstly, I think that while I write big words and know how to form a decent sentence, I am total shit at giving advice.  That being said let me move on to my blog post which has nothing to do with this sentence.

I'm just so crazy like that!

I've always put a lot of stock into Valentines Day, even if it is mostly capitalized on by the greeting card and candy companies (along with those lame ass jewelry store commercials that dominate both radio and television frequencies this time of year.)  Technically I categorize it as one of the "non-holiday" holidays, as it doesn't really have any religious connotations nor does it involve costumes.  And we all know how much I enjoy a good costume.  It just exists because people want it to, retail stores make serious bank on it, and people are most often too stuck in tradition to simply ignore it.

The thing about Valentines Day, however, is that it typically only means something if you have someone to share it with.  A boyfriend, a girlfriend, a husband or a wife.  Hell, even a mistress (or a mister if you're my ex (natch.))  My usual fashion of Valentines Day was something elaborate that involved a play on my creativity and then a day of me in the best mood possible, followed by some of my exceptionally good kissing skills later in the evening.  Just go with it.  Sadly no, I do not have anyone to share the red holiday with this year, and if I wanted to be a Bitter Betty like a good chunk of the single population, I could.  But like my last post alluded to... there has been a shift in me.

I recently joined Pinterest, which has already become a wonderful tool of inspiration and thought provoking ideas.  If any of you would like an invite, I am more than willing to throw one at you because everyone should experience it.  Browsing through quotes I found one that I really like.

.

There was a time for mourning and there was a time for great sadness.  They actually go hand in hand, but I digress.  This is the last "big" holiday before I hit my one year anniversary of being single.  There was my brief relationship with J, of course, but one year since the shit-storm kicked up.  I'm still surprised that as this day approached, I am not curled in a ball wishing it would all still be different.  Sure I think that sometimes, but who wouldn't?  Just the way it goes.  But like this quote states, don't waste your life trying to get something back.  It's just not worth it.

So this year for Valentines Day I turn to my friends instead of a lover.  @MarkStyleMe and I had a bit of an argument that lasted throughout January and into February.  Big personalities takes lots of time to swallow big pills and admit they are sorry, but we did and have reconciled.  And it is nice, really, because having him back means that I have a fully-restored group of Bests.  And the most solid relationships I have, the ones that haven't REALLY let me down and have been an amazing soundtrack to live life to, are with my Bests.  I have a lot of things to be thankful for in my life, the reality of it being that it is never really bad as it seems.  The sun sets but it also rises, and the doors get slammed but others open.  I love that feeling.

I'm going to buy some ice-cream tomorrow and watch a movie after I get out of work, because that is the way to get to Sean Parker's heart.  It's like Carrie Bradshaw said, "if you can find someone to love the you that you love, well, that's just fabulous."  You hit it on the head, girl.  And I found someone who loves the me that I love: it was me all along.  All the haters can go lick a dick.

I keep saying that lately.

Hahaha... see you all around.  Happy Valentines Day to my friends, my family, the people who are married, the people who are engaged, the people who are dating, and everyone else who is just trying to figure it out.  It's a wonderful time to be in love and I couldn't be happier for any of you (c:



1 comment: