Tuesday, April 30, 2013

the april update

Is it just me or is the year starting to pick up pace in terms of sprinting by?  Maybe that's because of these updates (for me) in which it just seems like yesterday I was whining about the difficulties of life in the March update.  As such, I am currently sitting in my office (where else) in shorts and a t-shirt, sweating like a fat girl writing her first love letter.  Thanks for that one Paula Dean.

Maybe April should be the new contender for March's "in like a lion, out like a lamb"?  Just a thought.

I usually like April, not just for it being the prelude to summer but because it is when things start to shift and turn around.  Maybe that's only psychogically but who cares?  It's normally the time of year when you can slough off the winter doldrums and say hello to buds on trees and the brightening of green in the fields so prevalent in this place we call the Midwest.  This year was a little different as there was still snow on the ground two weeks ago and today it hit 88 degrees but that's alright.  If the ends justify the means so be it.  The buds on the trees are finally popping out of the branches though and less by eyes deceive me, the grass is indeed growing rapidly.

I had my first real round of bills this month (compared to last month when everything was split up and awkward.)  First full month of paying rent, utilities, etc. etc.  I came out better than I thought I would and that's never a bad thing, and when I say better I just mean I have $40 more than I had planned on.  The first week or two of living in the apartment was a little unsettling because I kept thinking I was going to hate it.  The cats were never going to calm the hell down, I would be woken up by sounds every night outside, the neighbors would piss me off by being loud.  But no... I hardly if ever hear the people next door or underneath me, the cats have settled into a bit of normalcy (for them) but continue to tip over the water bowl.  I suppose moving from the country where you hardly ever hear anything outside your window and to the city would illicit some sort of response in my subconcious, but it hasn't been bad.  And now it's fine.

But that fat fuck with the motorcycle that comes and goes ALL day long is gonna get it pretty soon.  I'm thinking a broom handle through his spoke would suffice.

I've been painting a lot lately and I forgot how much I enjoy doing that.  I'm working on some new projects that sort-of tie into the lyric paintings I used to do.  Some are my own versions of some great things I've seen through Pinterest and a couple are fantastic quotes that I've been holding on to for a long time.  Slowly they are adorning the walls and the aprtment is becoming cozier than I could have anticipated, and that's worth it.


I've always wanted a painting like this.  My brother has a really neat one in his bedroom in Texas that I fell in love with and I've been obsessed with the idea ever since.  It was a different technique than I'm used to, doing a wash with the colors instead of using a brush (it was an old rag,) but I'm pleased with the result.  Free-handed the branch, and had @klreynol help me with the heights of the jars suspended from the ceiling.  "Helped" as in she stood across the room and I pranced across my dining table screwing things into the ceiling.


This is in my bedroom... I just think there's something special about it.  I hope you know what book it's from; if not, that's on your shoulders.  Just the whimsical/simple nature and the swirls make me smile (c:

Looking back on the duplexes I've lived in they always felt kind of cold.  Sterile.  Almost like they weren't lived in.  I don't think I have Pottery Barn to thank for that, but maybe I do.  Who knows?  I've certainly learned a thing or two about interior decorating since starting there.  At this time last year I had just had my first interview with Courtney and our (former) District Manager Suzanne.  Doesn't seem like it was that long ago.

Aside from all that I'm eating healthier and a bit smarter; I think that was to be expected with moving out and being responsible for buying my own food but it's still a good thing worth mentioning.  Today I blew the rest of my budget on fruit and vegetables.  Don't want to end up with scurvy, obviously.

So what else happened in April?  My ankle got a lot better, I started exercising again, continued flexing my strength at cooking, got kissed by a boy and had it mean something, and overall allowed things to start rolling off my shoulders again instead of holding on to them.  Ain't nothin' wrong with that!

Now I'm going to go and paint, maybe take a shower first, and of course listen to some music.  Fiona Apple has been on a lot lately.  Make sure you check out the blog if I haven't been posting, there might be one or two I decided not to share on Facebook.  I'm very tricky that (c:

Ciao for now kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment