Saturday, October 10, 2015

fifth iteration

Normally when I sit down to write these iterations, or really any blog, I am holed up in a bedroom or my office whilst typing in the dark and listening to moody music that'll inspire me to write something hopefully profound.  It's usually later in the evening, I may or may not have had a couple cocktails (to get the thought process flowing, y'know), and the cats are either sleeping on my lap, at my feet, or somewhere in the vicinity playing with a balled up gum wrapper.  Annoyingly.

This iteration is different.  New location, new sights to behold, and I suppose in many ways, a new me.  Thus marks...

THE FOUR YEAR
ANNIVERSARY OF
MUSINGS OF A SELF-PROCLAIMED AUTHOR

Four years of writing these things and I'm still working a day job!  Didn't see that one coming.  ::cough cough::

It's 82 degrees outside and sunny, and I am sitting on the wood deck/patio/balcony of Mozart's Coffee Roasters in Austin, TX.  It's just after one in the afternoon and there is a very gentle and incredibly pleasant breeze blowing off the water of the Colorado river directly beside me.  I'm wearing a white tank-top, there is an iced mocha just within my reach and, as of present, there's just a little bit of sweat rolling down the sides of the cup and but not enough to soak into the wood tabletop.  I can hear music from an outdoor restaurant on a pier 100 yards away, the idle chatter of people working on projects at the wood picnic tables around me, and of course the squeaks and chortles of the Grackle's that permeate this city.  If you aren't sure what a Grackle is, it can be found here.

To say this is a change from years past would be an understatement.  Many of you have been with me from the start and for those of you that haven't, you didn't miss too much.  But I digress!  I live in a place now that grants me the chance to leave the house and go sit outside somewhere in a community that thrives off of creative expression.  Sure, the people around me might just be working on school tasks as most seem college aged in a fun, hipster kind of way.  But others are a bit older, enthusiastically going over notes for some sort of presentation that will no doubt result in a pulitzer.

Just a guess.

I wrote a mopey blog a couple weeks ago about how hard the move down here was.  What was odd about that blog was how once it was written, I didn't necessarily feel any better about my situation.  Usually I can write a blog and let go of the feelings that caused me to write it, but this time it stuck around.  Only for a few days longer, it turned out.  Because once October 1st hit and the "first month" of living here was done, my attitude shifted.  Like Banning Sol discovers in Episode III of my book series, you only get so much time to be sad before you have to suck it up and make the most of your situation.

Come to think of it... oddly enough when I started writing the blog four years ago, I was using it as a distraction instead of printing out the first copy of "The Onyxus Chronicles: Episode III" that I needed to start editing.  Today I printed out the current incarnation of Episode III and intended on beginning to final edit, but instead started writing this blog.  Things come full circle if you choose to pay attention and that's something I've always been a fan of (c:

A lot of things change in a year... the creeptastic thing about the iterations is that I like to write about all of the things that are better for me at that point in my life.  Then, by the next year, they seem small in comparison to all of the new things to come along that are better.  Last year when I wrote this I didn't see a way out of my living situation, or really my work situation.  Not to say either was bad, they just weren't what I wanted.  The last thing on my mind was the "love" situation, because I've always had a certain attitude when it comes to love and how many times I've told it to fuck off.

It's true and you know it!

A year ago I was one month away from meeting a man that would change my life forever.  Not just in love, but in allowing me to follow my dream of moving to a new city and beginning a career I've had my eyes on for many years.  It's funny how things fall into place when you aren't looking.  And since things come in threes, the same held true for this last year.  I met Derek, I moved to Texas, and in three weeks I start my new job.  I suppose I also published my second novel but that's neither here nor there and one mustn't brag.

But I have been published twice before turning 30 and you can alllllll know it.


I've told you before that an iteration means something is continuously building.  Getting better, growing stronger, becoming happier, yadda yadda.  Basically I look more attractive now than I did in 2011 and that's the goal here, iszhn't it?  12,849 views in four years... 121 blogs written in total.  I thought I'd have pumped out more in the last year than just 21, but I've been busy and you can't expect miracles from a busy guy.  Life gets in the way, work gets in the way, and I suppose it'd make sense to have shared those road blocks but no one tolerates a Sad Sally for long.  Eventually Sad Sally's need to become Happy... Helens?  I'm still ironing out the kinks on names.

So what can you expect in the fifth iteration?  A new look, I'm certain.  Blogger has been a fantastic platform for me to put my work on but I think it's time I launch something a little more official and I think all of you would agree.  A little more polished and classy, not so cookie-cutter and "pedestrian."  Such a commoner word.  But really, the launch of my own website is imminent and as soon as I've made it official, I will be sure to loop everyone in on it.

In closing I'd just like to say thank you to everyone that takes the time to read me.  Books or otherwise.  I love hearing your thoughts and opinions and feedback, good or bad, and it all helps me to grow in my work.  I appreciate you as my family, my friends, and my fans, and I couldn't imagine doing this without any one of you at my side.  So here is to another year of musing, and you'll be hearing from me soon.  Ciao (c:


In case you wanted you read the iterations of years past:

No comments:

Post a Comment