Wednesday, March 27, 2024

a year in the estate: part iv

current looks

One year later

I didn't want to do this blog page because I wanted to leave something to the imagination of where this all was going, but I can't leave you hanging. 

I just can't do that! 

So here is a collection of before and after photos, with minimal writing about them because, like I have said a million times, that will be for the YouTube channel and Instagram. This is just a peek at what I've been up to (with a lot of help from my parents and a couple friends occasionally) over the last 365 days.

The enclosed porch 3.2023

The enclosed porch 9.2023

The porch is essentially finished; it needs new flooring that will likely go in this summer. 

The living room 3.2023

The living room 3.2024

Apart from the unfinished stairwell walls above the "break," the living room is finished. This is where I meant the vertical pieces I installed on the wall matched the ones in front of it.

The living room 3.2023

The living room 3.2024

There will always be opportunities for decorating and changing things up, like repositioning that circular mirror because it's too low.

The parlor 3.2023

The parlor 3.2024

As stated, my favorite room in the house. It has a Bee theme, from the honeycomb-shaped medallion and chandelier to the Bee drapery holdbacks and artwork. This room still has some tricks up the sleeve before it's considered finished.

The study 3.2023

The study 12.2023

This is an older photo because, currently, the study is filled with items for the adjacent bathroom, and it is a damn mess.

The kitchen 3.2023

The kitchen 3.2024

As I said, the most significant transformation. From paneling the ceiling to adding all new trim to the cabinets, appliances, sink, windows... everything.

The kitchen 3.2023

The kitchen 3.2024

This room would not be what it is without my dad, who worked patiently with me and my plans to build the island and the spice cabinet to the right. In addition to, y'know... everything else he did.

The laundry room 3.2023

The laundry room 3.2024

Still a few things to do in here, like painting the cabinet (and one you can't see behind the door).

The half bath 3.2023

The brand new pantry 3.2024

The house's only truly "new" space is the pantry and coffee bar. My dad made the butcher block counter.

The half bath 3.2024

The half bath is now in a much smaller state of being, but it works perfectly fine like this. I have all of the random artwork pieces I've collected here, some of which I received as gifts. There are also framed samples of all the wallpaper I removed from the house.

Primary bedroom 3.2023

Primary bedroom 3.2024

She's dark, like I told ya. This room still needs the baseboards painted and installed, on top of a few other special projects later. That door leads out to the (eventual) front balcony.

The guest bedroom 3.2023

The guest bedroom 9.2023

This oxblood bedroom also needs the baseboards painted and installed. Since this photo was taken, however, the window has been painted, and all door casings and window trim have been replaced.

The back bedroom 3.2023

Notice the water damage down the sheetrock containing the chimney.

The back bedroom 12.2023

The first room to be TOTALLY finished in the house, top to bottom, as it is now rented out by Andrew. The ceiling light is the only light in the house that I reused, as it looked old (but it is from the 80s). This room has a lower ceiling than the others, making putting a ceiling fan in here impossible.






And I guess...







Because I'm nice...








And because I'm like... a show-off...







The front porch

Lastly, and to wrap this all up with a bow, is a glimpse of what the house ultimately will look like. Last summer, while I was KILLING MYSELF to get ready to host my parents' surprise 50th Anniversary party, I was hustling to complete the front porch. I ended up only getting part of the way done before the party, but the ball was rolling, and I needed to kick it in the goal box before winter came. I wanted to look at something pretty during the cold months and fantasize about the overall look when the house was finished.

You can see the black fascia, gutters, and soffits here, replacing ancient white/broken/dated materials. I wanted the front porch to evoke a shop on a side street in London, lol, so I went with all black. I replaced all of the screens, painted all the hardware brass, painted the siding, and replaced the house numbers. I repainted the railing, stained the concrete steps, and chopped down the massive bushes. The rest of the house will get this same treatment, including a balcony to be built above the porch this summer. But it's a start.

And that's my home, friends. I hope you all get to come and see it someday. But until then?

Ciao for now (c:

Go Back to Part I: Introducing The Estate

Go Back to Part II: Demolition

Go Back to Part III: Reconstruction and Painting

No comments:

Post a Comment